The On-Call Research Assistant/Medical Assistant is a position assisting in a variety of duties involved in the collection, compilation, and documentation of clinical research data. The Research Assistant position reports to the Charge Nurse, where the main focus is conducting Clinical Research procedures based on each study protocol. The Research Assistant shall at all times demonstrate cooperative and professional behavior with colleagues, clients and supervisors in compliance with the Standard Operating Procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Follows all study and non-study regulations including, but not limited to: Patient/Subject Privacy (HIPAA), OSHA, Good Clinical Practice (GCP), Good Documentation Practice (GDP), Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), and department specific Work Instructions (WI), Follows proper safety and emergency policies and procedures as set forth by WCCT.
Perform study procedures, including but not limited to vital signs, electrocardiogram, blood collection, meal distribution, pulmonary function tests, check in/out of volunteers, urine/stool sample collection.
Assists with the floor set up for study procedures. May also assist with other preparation and setup of work area (ex. Make beds, assemble/disassemble cots).
Performs data processing tasks for each study, including entering data, verifying data, identifying problem data, and performing data corrections and query resolutions when necessary.
Assists with collection, organization, and maintenance of data files.
Perform other related duties as assigned by Charge Nurse or Manager and incidental to the work described herein.
Perform basic medical front office duties, including but not limited to welcoming study participants, answering or referring inquires, and recording and/or collecting study participant information; restocks clinical supplies on the floor, as needed.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND TRAINING
High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED), 3-6 months related experience and/or training, or the equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
Associate’s degree or higher in Nursing
1. Previous experience as a medical assistant or research assistant, preferred
2. Ability to read and interpret documents such as Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), safety rules, study-related forms and documents. Ability to write routine reports and accurately record information on forms and/or documents. Ability to effectively communicate with subjects, employees, supervisors, and others on study-related matters in English is necessary
3. Must be able to work in a fast paced environment
4. Understand the needs of the internal or external customer and keeping them in mind when taking actions or making decisions
5. Modules 1, 2, 3, 6 & 7.
6. Study-related training prior to performing study-related procedures
Certificates & Licenses
Current BLS/ACLS certification is required
Current PALS certification is preferred
Medical Assistant (MA) and/or CPT1 certificate is required.