The Laboratory Assistant II is responsible for conducting the biological sampling activities related to each clinical trial. This position assists with the preparation, collection, documentation and shipment of biological specimens for each study and reports to the Laboratory Supervisor(s) with direct supervision provided by the Laboratory Coordinator(s)
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Conducts all operational activities within the laboratory related to the preparation of sample collection containers, processing biological specimens, performing testing, documenting procedures, and preparing specimen shipments.
2. Follows the policies and procedures for laboratory facilities and equipment maintenance.
3. Assists with daily laboratory facilities and equipment maintenance.
4. Assists with the inventory, storage, and maintenance of study supplies, lab ware, and instruments essential to the operation of the laboratory.
5. Attends trainings for study protocols and specific processing techniques.
6. Works within a team of laboratory personnel assigned to conduct laboratory activities for specific clinical trials.
7. Communicates in a professional and courteous manner with all company personnel.
8. Provides verification of specimen quality.
9. Demonstrates excellent multi-tasking abilities with time-sensitive tasks
10. Possesses advanced specimen handling skills.
11. Reviews laboratory processing documents for accuracy.
12. Assists with study activities as deemed necessary by Laboratory Supervisor(s)
13. Attends department or study related meetings.
14. Works middle and late shifts as necessitated by study activities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND TRAINING
1. High School diploma required.
2. Attends CPR/BLS training
3. Obtains IATA certified Handling of Dangerous Goods Certificate
4. Keeps abreast of clinical laboratory testing procedures and advancements
1. Minimum of one year prior research laboratory experience preferred
2. College coursework in a scientific field preferred
3. Attends any internal and external training sessions/seminars for personal development
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The description of the physical demands and the work environment characteristics here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform and those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually low.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills aptitudes and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.