The Research Assistant I is an entry level position assisting in a variety of duties involved in the collection, compilation, and documentation of clinical research data. The Research Assistant I position reports to their assigned RA III and/or Charge Nurse, where the main focus is conducting Clinical Research procedures based on each study protocol.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Perform and complete study procedures, including, but not limited to; vital signs, electrocardiogram, blood collection, meal distribution, pulmonary function tests, check in/out of volunteers, etc.
- Monitors own work and resolve queries in a timely manner.
- Maintain assigned work area in a clean and safe condition.
- Follows established safety and emergency policies and procedures
- Restocks clinical supplies on the floor, as needed.
- Preparation and setup of work area for study procedures.
- Cross train to cover Research Staff Station desk.
- Perform basic medical front office duties, including but not limited to welcoming study participants, answering or referring inquires, and recording and/or collecting study participant information.
- Ensures availability of participant’s information by filing and/or retrieving study participant’s records for the Clinical Trial Conduct Department, Project Management, and/or Trial Management Department.
- Follows all study and non-study regulations including, but not limited to Patient/Subject Privacy (HIPAA), OSHA, Good Clinical Practice (GCP), Good Documentation Practice (GDP), Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), and department specific Work Instructions (WI).
- Responsible for following proper safety and emergency policies and procedures as set forth by WCCT.
- Required to work variable shifts including morning, midday, night and weekends and holidays.
- Reports directly to the assigned RA III/RN III, Charge Nurse on duty and Manager of Clinical Support.
- Complete all job description specific training within 30 days of hire or promotion.
- Provides help to other departments as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by supervisor or manager and incidental to the work described herein.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Exhibits sound and accurate judgment and logical reasoning
- Promote a positive, team-orientated, interaction between departments
- Positive role model; exhibits confidence in self and others
- Knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite - A proficient user of Microsoft Office Applications including PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook, Project
- Knowledge of other computer programs – SharePoint
- Knowledge and use Multi-lined Call Center Tools - A proficient user of Call Center Customer Relations Management (CRM) tools, and ability to interpret reports and data from CRM
- Behavioral Requirements
- Customer focus - Understanding the needs of the internal or external customer and keeping them in mind when taking actions or making decisions.
- Team player - Effective participant as a team member and team leader. Can demonstrate significant positive participation on successful teams.
- Professionalism and integrity - Exhibits professionalism in negotiating sensitive issues.
- Problem solving techniques - Able to adapt to a changing environment and demonstrates a “make it happen” attitude.
- Interpersonal interaction - Demonstrates excellent people skills and a positive attitude.
- Communication - Effective verbal communication and presentation skills. Ability to write clear, succinct and convincing memos, letters and articles using original or innovative techniques or style.
- Ability to prioritize and to manage multiple tasks as necessary.
- Attention to detail - Produces high-quality, accurate work with minimal supervision
- Flexibility - Ability to adapt and be willing to assist with achieving Company goals in the area of responsibility and time.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND TRAINING
- High School diploma required
- Medical Assistant and/or Phlebotomy Technician Certification required or Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to health science required
- Current ACLS/PALS preferred.
- Current BLS certification required
- A proficient user of medical diagnostic equipment including but not limited to EKG/ECG machine and Vital Sign Monitors.
- Research experience preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The description of the physical demands and the work environment characteristics here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform and those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job:
- Ability to talk or hear.
- Required to sit 90% of the workday.
- Occasionally required to stand; walk.
- Must be able to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms.
- Minimal lifting is required, 10 pounds, with assistance and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus when viewing a computer monitor.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually low.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills aptitudes and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.